Rack and Pinion repair

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rack and Pinion repair
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:06:18 -0700
Hey listers,

Recently I replaced the boots and refilled my Rack  with the proper lube.

The rack has been sitting on the bench for several weeks while I work on
other parts of the car.  I noticied today that oil is seeping out of the
joint between one of the Al castings and the steel tube that connects them.
It is not very much, just one drop forming after two weeks.
The question is, How to stop the leak?

I am considering two possiblilities and want to hear any other suggestions.

1.  Loctite sealant.  Degrease the joint and wick some loctite in there.
2.  Permatex aviation gasket goop.  You know the nasty looking brown stuff
that allways stays slightly sticky.  If it will seal the water leak on
screw in rocker studs, it will take care of this.

Any others?  Comments gratefully accepted.

Erich