from Erich Coiner

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: from Erich Coiner
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:24:03 EDT
We'll start with the stuff that is easy to check on the outside of  the
trans.  If these don't fix it, it'll have to come out  :(

Follow the procedure in the shop manual to make sure the linkage is  set
correctly.
Essentially, all levers on trans in neutral.
Shifter in  neutral.
Stick a 1/4 inch diameter rod thru the hole in the shifter and all  the
levers.
Loosen nuts on shift linkage to allow the rod to be inserted  if necessary.

Look for worn out or loose components in the shift  linkage.
Look especially where the shift lever on the trans bolts to the  shaft
sticking out of the trans.
If that nut gets loose the lever can get  "wallered out".  They must be
replaced then.
www.toploaderheaven.com  has some good diagnostic pages and pictures.
He can also sell you levers and  a shifter rebuild kit.
Make sure there is no lost motion in the  linkage.

Hopefully you will find something obviously wrong in this area  and your
problems will be gone.
If not, it is probably time for a trans  rebuild.

Erich
rebuilt my trans at Xmas and my shifter last  month