Re: Shifter/Trans problem

To: spmdr@juno.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shifter/Trans problem
From: stubrennan@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:03:25 +0000
.
You wrote:

> You CAN get the stock shifter mechanism OUT of the car WITHOUT
> disassembling it!
>
> It does require a technique that is immediately forgotten / missed as
> soon as the shifter is OUT of the car. It has to do with rotating the
> mechanism.

Reply:  Maybe this worked for you, but not me.  I spent a couple of really
unpleasant evenings trying to rotate the shifter into every imaginable
position, both from the top and from the bottom, with no luck.  This may, of
course, depend on whether it was Alf or Wally swinging the legendary sledge
hammer the day your car went down the line at Jensen. ;-)

I suspect that if I had unbolted the tranny mount and pushed the tranny to the
side a bit it would have come out from the bottom.  But since I was going to be
taking the shifter apart anyway, this seemed easiest.

Stu