Re: seat mod

To: Rollright@aol.com
Subject: Re: seat mod
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:43:27 -0700
Jim Armstrong,

(Didn't you used to be the "All American Boy" when  you were on the
radio, or was that Dave Armstrong?")

Anyway, to make this easy, release the seat back rake lever and let the
seat back fold forward so you front hit it against the dash.

Then grasp the seat bottom between the carpet and the seat and lift up.
The entire seat hinges forward around a pivot point in front of the seat
bottom.  The bolts, one on each rail, it rotates about is the one we are
talking about.

Now return things to normal and LOOK at the seat track.  You will find
these bolts in front of the lower seat bottom, and laying horizontal.

These are the ones that can be removed, with wrenches, to remove the
entire seat and fore/aft slides.

Take one out of the passenger seat and drive to your nearest aircraft
surplus, or small boat marine supply store, and ask them for their
quick-release pins.  They usually have a push-button mounted axially on
a thick side, often with a ring.  The shaft should be the same size as
the bolt you removed, and the length to the small protruding balls on
the other end of the pin should correspond to the place the nut would
have been.  Borrow one that appears to be correct, go out to the parking
lot, press that button and insert it into the holes from which you
removed the seat bolt.  It should slide right in, and when you release
the button, the balls come out of the pin OUTSIDE the frame mounted bolt
hole.

To remove, grasp pin ring, push in release button (retracting ball
detent holder) and pull the pin out.  That's it.

Buy all four and replace the bolts so the pin rings are all facing the
outboard side of the car.  Now you can remove either seat buy just
pushing in the release pins and pulling out the pins on both seat track
sides.   Repeat for other seat, if you want to remove them both.

I think you will find it easier to remove the seat if you release the
back and fold it forward.

I hope that was clear enough.

Steve

___