Thursday Thrash at Mayfield Motorsports

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Thursday Thrash at Mayfield Motorsports
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:02:24 -0700
Well, an early start today. Yesterday the WFSWB started reasonably well
and since I did not have the tuner laptop yet, decided to work on other
things. I had started fabricating a set of hood pins some time ago and
decided it was time to finsh them. Now you ask why didn't I just buy
some. Well, truthfully, there is nor access to add the pin hold down to
the cowl. My hood is a rear opener type and there was just no place to
put them. I had my wife help me woith the initial hood installationm
(Thanks, Honey) and spent some time trying to adjust stuff. Car was so
out of shape initially that it fits as well as it is ever gonna fit.  I
used the hood stops, those little rubber bumper thingys that kep the
hood from going down too far. I made some pieces to fit in their place.
I screwed them in, made adjustments, and now they are ready for the
final operation, drilling for the actual latch pin. A few moments at the
drill press, a quick run to ACE HW for pins and I will be done.  The I
got ambitious. I decided to put all the wheels and tires back on since I
am basically done underneath. Wheeled out he air compressor and pumped
the back ones to 60 psig and put them on. Now this is not quie as easy
as I just made it sound. Have to disconnect the coil overs on the rear,
and detach one end of the diagonal track locator rod. Then the whole
shebang drops down far enough to get the wheels on. Put them on, will
snug the lugs down tomorrow. After the wheels are on, then raise the
rear end with the jack, reattach the coil overs, and the diagonal link.
Piece of cake...yeah right. With my knees, it is hard to do. Front
wheels are just nothing at all. Just like a regular car except for Weld
wheels and racing tires. I set the tranny tunnel in place in the car and
did it from the correct side, drivers side. No issues here. Put the seat
in place and scratched the roll bar paint, SH*T! But the seat is now in
place so I can measure for the seat belt length. Then I quit for the
day. Oh the computer came, so had to farkle a bit with it. Has an issue
or 2 that I need to work on. Like gettin a mouse...touse little touch
pads drive me crazy. Also got DeLorme GPS for he laptop as well...so I
can find my way in this world. I need to paly with the computer and
install the software for tuning the car.

GAry had a stellar day with his lakester! He had spent some time doing
some serious reading of the manuals for the DFI Gen 6 system and pretty
much determined what he needed to do to make it functional. But, it
didn't go as easy as it sounds at first. Lots of grinding anf poping and
well, you know. belch smoking. He finall changed the plugs and went to
his basic tune and Wholey Moley batman, it runs like a banshee! He shut
it down several time and di hot restarts, just fine. Will try cold
starts in the morning to see if it does as well. Good job Gary!

Well, that's enough fun for the day..

I'll send a short not in the morning describing what the cjallenges of
the day are...

mayf