transmissions

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: transmissions
From: "david hall" <dhhall@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:54:31 -0400
I've been considering various options re:  5 speed transmissions.  Dale A's
modification is essentially unobtainable, although there was on ebay that
didn't meet reserve at $3080.  I was interested in Curtis Fisher's excellent
article on installing a Tremec in his Tiger, but was concerned about the
amount of cutting of the crossmember required.  He did mention shortening the
input shaft and bellhousing as an option.  This would provide a shortening of
the unit, and allows the shift tower to be moved a little forward of the
crossmember area, the critical interference area.  How "doable" is this?  What
are the engineering limitations of shortening an input shaft and bellhousing?
Has anyone tried this?  David