RE: TIGER VALVE COVERS

To: "'Theo Smit'" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>,
Subject: RE: TIGER VALVE COVERS
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:53:51 -0400
Hi:

I can speak from experience that one needs to be VERY careful when fitting
replacement heads on the engine. I had spent nearly 5 years completely
restoring my MkII - starting from chemical dip. Everything was done and
looking fabulous and all that was left was to install the engine. I had even
applied silver-faced dynamat to the lower firewall and tunnel (can't see
unless you look from under the car).

I had completely rebuilt the original 289. In the course of this work I
decided to replace the original cast iron heads, which needed considerable
work, with new Performer RPM heads. It never occurred to me that there might
be a difference in height between the cast and RPM heads (measured from deck
to valve cover mounting surface).

So, I go to fit the engine into the very car from which it had been removed
and........ No way, no how. At first I though I had somehow "shrunk the car"
during the restoration. The drivers side (US) valve cover hit the firewall
and prevented the engine from being installed. As it turned out the aluminum
RPM head was taller than the original cast unit.

Reluctantly, and with tears streaming, I beat the carefully painted and
prepared firewall/tunnel into submission. BANG... cry... BANG... cry... and
on it went.

The engine is now in place with about 3/8 inch clearance between the valve
cover and the firewall/tunnel. Everything "looks" fine but in my heart I
know - I beat the beast...

Wayne