Hurricane Rita

To: "Tiger List \(E-mail\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hurricane Rita
From: "James Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:00:55 -0500
Just a short note to let you all know I'm fine.  We did evacuate for this
storm (we didn't for Katrina), as each subsequent forecast put the storm
farther to the east.  We left about 5 PM on Thursday after hastily gathering
a few family heirlooms and important papers.  We really weren't sure where
we were going.  We ended up in Shreveport, LA, about 200 mile NNE at a
friend's home for the night.  Friday morning we decided to make a road trip
out of it and headed to our daughter's home in Columbia, MO, earning us the
honor of having evacuated the farthest.  We returned home today to find the
yard littered with large branches (we have about 50 trees in our yard), but
otherwise, no damage.  Lily (a Cat. 1-2 direct hit two years ago) stripped
the trees of nearly all leaves.  Rita wasn't near as bad.  I'm told we only
lost power for about 4 hours.  Yet another bullet dodged.  I got to find a
new place to live.  This is getting old.

Jim Pickard
B9473298
Lafayette, LA