Adjusting Hi Po Valves

To: <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>
Subject: Adjusting Hi Po Valves
From: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:39:23 -0400
Listers,
I have never adjusted mechanical cams while the vehicle is running as it
simply made way too much mess. The process I use is one that involves a
$14 solenoid bumper switch. Simply hook it up to the solenoid at the
lower right of the Tiger firewall and bump the motor over to adjust the
valves. Rather than sweating whether I got to exactly the right 90
degree point on the balancer I use this approach.
1.      Remove Both valve covers while cold.
2.      start at the back on the passenger side
3.      Hit Bump switch and turn engine over until Intake Valve is
almost completely set to CLOSE
4.      Adjust Exhaust (I would use .020-.022)
5.      Tighten nut and double check measurement
6.      Hit Bump Switch and rotate engine until Exhaust Just starts to
crack Open
7.      Adjust Intake (I would use .016-.018)
8.      Move to next cylinder and repeat until done
9.      Fire engine briefly and listen for any audible clicking. Press
on each rocker to see if noise changes if it does ... you found the
loose rocker ... shut off the engine and now fix it.

I have done this valve setup procedure for over 15 years and been very
happy with the results. User to verify Valve clearances.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings
23961 Via El Rocio
Mission Viejo, CA   92691
Off: (949) 305-5393
Fx: (425) 955-6268
Cell: (949) 289-3357
email: timothy.ronak@akzonobel.com
VM: (800) 234-6747 ext. 2257#

This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be
privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender then delete and destroy the original message and all copies. You
should not copy, forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in
part, without permission of the sender.