Re: Engine removal

To: Bob Dixon <bobdixon@frii.com>
Subject: Re: Engine removal
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:53:39 -0700
Bob,

While I have removed the transmission out, by supporting the engine and
removing bell housing, drive shaft connections, I have yet to be faced
with Tiger removal.  That being said, I have had lots of experience in
and around the Tiger, and have removed engines from my MG-TD (one of my
friends stepped inside the engine compartment and lifted it out!), and
my '66 Mustang GT.

On the MG I learned that even that engine was too much to safely lift.
So from then on, all my removals have been with a rental companies
hydraulic arm hoist.  This is an excellent way to remove and engine, and
leave a rolling chassis.  It has large wheels, and can be used to lower
the block to an engine stand for work.  A motor "tilt" fixture, between
lift and engine, allows you to adjust tilt to the particular angle you need.

Lower capacity, but very adequate, lifts and stands are made in the
orient, and marketed through mass merchandise auto parts stores, such as
Pep Boys, Kragen, etc. at reasonable prices.

You may have the same single story garage that I have, and not even have
hook height to lift the motor high enough to roll the chassis back.  In
this case, you need a mild day, and maybe sun protection.  The removal
can be done, as the clouds have enough clearance, and the body rolled
into the garage.  Depending on your hoist, either the engine is rolled
to the stand, or the stand and engine are out-doors and the engine
loaded stand is wheeled to work area.  Be very careful, here, as it can
tip on uneven surfaces.

Good Luck,

Steve

___