RE: update - cooling yet again

To: "'Tiger Group'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: update - cooling yet again
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:44:58 -0300
Paul;

I am impressed with your results. From info on this list, I have not
been alarmed by the temp on my bored and stroked (331) motor. It runs
around 200-210, occasionally going to 220. I have a 180 thermostat with
a by-pass hole in it. I lose coolant at a relatively slow rate, (out the
overflow tube, 13# rad cap) but I am using oil at the same rate as you
were, roughly a U.S. quart every 300 miles. This does alarm me.

I have an infrared thermometer. My gauge was reading approx 20 deg.
high, temp measured at the base of the temp sender unit. (That was
really scary!) So I took the gauge apart and bent the needle to read the
same as the infrared thermometer. Now I get the readings mentioned above
on my in-dash original gauge.

I wonder has anyone else on this list seen a reduction in oil
consumption with a reduction in coolant temp as described by Paul?
Perhaps I need to fit a new rad. I'd like cool legs, better oil
consumption and no coolant leakage too!

Dave