Rust removal

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rust removal
From: "david hall" <dhhall@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:30:01 -0400
I've recently tried the rust removal soak Evapo-Rust, and have been well
pleased.  I saw it listed in Moss Motors catalog, and ordered several gallons.
It isn't cheap, at about $22 a gallon, but sounded great in its description.
It is a water based product, ph in the 6-7 range, and is used full strength as
a soak.  It's not caustic, and I could put my hands in it without any
ptoblems.  I used it to soak an MGTD brake drum that was heavily rusted, and
it came out a day later looking like a new one.  It claims to work by
"selective chelation" and left the paint intact.  I also soaked a sheet metal
air cleaner housing that was tubular, that I could never have sand blasted
adequately, and it worked well again.  I'd consider this to help remove even
heavy rust on smaller objects that can be dipped, or you could set up a small
pump to do a larger piece.  On both pieces I had previously tried the
eloctrolytic process with the battery charger and sodium carbonate (Arm &
Hammer) and was not impressed with the speed or final results.  This worked,
but very slowly and in a limited area.  Any other folks with experience with
Evapo-Rust?  David