Re: to pass thru or not to pass thru, that is the ?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <pirouette@charter.net>
Subject: Re: to pass thru or not to pass thru, that is the ?
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:40:45 -0800
Chris,
  I did not "tube" my pass-through. I had considered it, but I have enough
to correct so... . It seems to me you would have to cut even more of what
already looks like a large opening. Also, since my car wasn't TAC-ed at the
time a lot of list comments made me gun-shy to mess with any of the Tiger
specific elements.
 I have considered fashioning a piece of sheet steel or aluminium as a
deflector. Basically it would follow the form of the cut out, but be as
oversized as possible but avoid hitting the underside of the floor or affect
ground clearance. A centered hole would slide over the exhaust. Instead of
just punching a hole though I would cut the hole from center and create tabs
to hose clamp the deflector to the exhaust. If you are familiar with an
escusion plate on a sink faucet then imagine one shaped a bit larger than
the cut out. Typically the cheaper ones just have an interference fit with
the tube they slide over. In this case the metal bent back to create the
hole provides the tabs to hose clamp the deflector to the exhaust pipe.
  I'm sure that there could be other variations with set screws, or two
piece arrangements to avoid hassles of getting the device over mufflers etc.
for exhaust systems that are already in place. While it would not prevent
water from getting in it would deflect a significant amount. I would also
assume how close one was willing to slide it back near the cut out
(obviously it wouldn't touch the frame) would determine how efficent it
works. Given the environment one lives in it might be a worth while effort.
Regards, Tom Witt