Re: Welding classes...

To: stan gorski <thorlp@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Welding classes...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:47 -0800
stan gorski wrote:

> I'm pretty good, not a certified, but competent hobbiest.  It took a
> long time, many mistakes, trips to thre net etc etc.  Save yourself
> years, that course sounds great.  Gas welding is an art, the rest can
> be learned with minimal instructions and a lot of practice.  My
> favorite welding tool is my Henrob, low temp small bead, perfect for
> body panel.  Just for info.  Stan

Stan, just using your reply to add my 2 cents worth to the thread..

I'll jump in here. If you can gas weld, you can TIG weld. TIG is just
(overly simplified) gas welding with a very high temperature arc and
generally the same kind of filler rod. So learn to gas weld, then
practice with the TIG. But, in all cases follow doctor mayfield's sage
advice regards to welding: GET COMFORTABLE before welding. If you are
awkward, off center or folded up, your welds will look like it. MIG is
faster but in my opinion a little harder to learn. Lots of bad welds
using MIG because the filler material just keeps on coming out the end
of the torch and while it may look good, in a lot of cases the base
metal is not penetrated at all.

So, learn to gas weld, then practice TIG.

mayf, out in PAhrump