RE: Speedo

To: "'Joey Hiykel'" <v8sunbeamtiger@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:10:46 -0500
Joey
        The speedometer take a bit of maneuvering to get it out of the dash
but it can be done, it is a tight squeeze.   You might be able to see the
very small cotter pin that holds that odometer reset handle; remove the
cotter pin and the handle that will make easier to remove the speedometer
for the first time.

        To lube the speedometer cable; pull the inner cable out and put
white-lithium grease or gear oil on the inner cable as you push it back into
the speedometer cable.   Rotate the inner cable as you slide it in until it
engages the driven gear.   I usually use silicone grease, its my preference.

        I would only put a little grease on the speedometer head for now,
reassemble and test.  You might be able to do this without pulling the
speedometer out of the dash, or put a little dab of grease on the end of the
cable, then attach the cable to the speedometer.

        I also recommend that you read the articles on the speedometer
listed on TigersUnited.com and especially this article:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/speedo.html

They will give you a better understanding of how the speedometer works and
what is inside them.

The biggest problem we all have with these gages is that they are 40+ years
old now, they get out of adjustment and they do wear out.

Ron Fraser