RE: poor lady on EBay selling tiger

To: "'Joey Hiykel'" <v8sunbeamtiger@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: poor lady on EBay selling tiger
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:56:11 -0700
Hi Joey,
It gets mentioned frequently, but it was common practice in the '60s to
title cars in the year they were sold, not when they were made by the
factory. The B947 VIN plate corresponds  to a '64 or '65 production date, so
it is quite possible for the car to have sat on the dealer's lot for a while
and not get an official title until 1967.

My Mk1A Tiger was built at the end of December, 1966, and it's also titled
as an 1967 model.

The Mark II Tigers were built in 1967, and have B382100xxx VIN numbers, but
there were only just over 500 made. These would have ended up being titled
as '67 or '68 cars. The "Super Tiger" was an Ian Garrad marketing ploy,
which combined some performance and appearance features to make the car more
attractive to potential buyers and to give the dealers something to talk
about to the customers. I don't know if the "Super Tiger" that is featured
in one of the books (can't remember which - either Mike Taylor's or Bill
Carroll) is a Mk1A or MkII.

Theo