Re: No brakes

To: geowiz.sgy@cox.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No brakes
From: Fhsloth3@cs.com
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:23:50 EST
I had the same problem last year on my way to a car show. Turns out that the
rear brake adjusters were frozen and the rear shoes were far away from the
drums. When I stepped on the brake the wheel cylinders came apart and flooded
the
drums with fluid, emptying the reservoir in the process.

I had to get rollbacked home. I freed the adjusters, rebuilt the wheel
cylinders, got new brake shoes, cleaned the drums, made the necessary bleeds
and
adjustments and everything has been good since.

In an emergency, if you can get some brake fluid and have the tools, you can
clamp off the rear flexible hose with a vise grips, bleed the master cylinder
and front brakes, and carefully make your way to a safe location. The rear
flex line will probably be destroyed, but it probably needed changing anyway. :)

Fred Baum
9470768