RE: Steering Ratio

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>, "'Bob Palmer'"
Subject: RE: Steering Ratio
From: Bill Martin <tigerfixer@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:03:58 -0800 (PST)
 Theo, Bob, et al
 The Spencer quick rack is still with the car, from
 my research I learned that Doane had three racks
 made up. We only go one with the car and it is
 totally trick. With the HSC tiger up on jackstands,
 suspension at full droop, with the original rims and
 tires on it you could turn the wheel to full lock
 then flick the steering wheel the opposite direction
 and the rack would go full lock. I showed this to
 Tom Hall and we stood there shaking our heads! It is
 about 2.5 turns lock to lock and is a face cut pinion
 and bar. Doane had all this stuff figured out 40
years
 ago, amazing.
 Bill