Re: Tiger on Sports Car Revolution

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger on Sports Car Revolution
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:07:36 -0700
A quick look in "Tiger - Making of a Sports Car" shows that Stan Peterson
held the C/Stock record at 12.95 110 mph. Note that this is NHRA. Theo was
right, the record was held by Chittenden but it was AHRA. The book claims
basically the same ET 12.95 and slightly slower at 108 mph for him.
  I didn't follow AHRA classes back in the early 1970's,  but I did the
NHRA. Basically one could run on 7" slicks (with two grooves), any rear
ratio, three angle valve job, balance the motor and run a "cheater" cam
(which basically has the same lift and duration as stock, but the ramp on
the lobe was quite extreme) to open the valve faster, but not longer. I also
think headers were allowed. Everything else needed to be stock (intake,
carb, etc.). The book did state that NHRA was more stringent on the
preparation and thus the Chittenden car would seem to have been faster, but
that doesn't show in the records.
 I don't know it these records were the case, but years ago (until the NHRA
clamped down) two barrel cars would often come to the line idling at about
4,000 rpm because they had every hose, gasket "leaking" to the manifold and
oversize jets in the carb. to compensate for the air leak. It increased the
CFM and added to the ability to go faster  ;-)  .
Tom