Wiring for ammeter

To: "'Tiger List \(E-mail\)'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiring for ammeter
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:12:36 -0400
I am looking to install an ammeter in my MkII (alternator equipped). I want
to do this with minimal impact on the existing stock wiring harness. Can
anyone point me to a good reference for this installation?

Right now I am contemplating splicing the ammeter in series between the
alternator and the starter solenoid. Is there an alternate point to splice
in the ammeter that will not have such a long wire route?

A fall back is to wire in a voltmeter if I can find one that period-matches
the ammeter. Any suggestions for a voltmeter source and how to wire it in?

Best regards,

Wayne (in MD, USA)