Re: Dead Car

To: "'Scott Hutchinson'" <shutchin@netjets.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dead Car
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:07:48 -0400
>Sounds like a dirty connection in the high current
>part of the electrical system - check the positive
?and negative battery terminals, the ground strap
>connection on the chassis, and the connections at
>the starter solenoid (when doing this last part
>make sure the battery is disconnected!). Also check the
>ground strap from the chassis to the engine/transmission.

Theo is right one of these is likely a bad connection.

Just a comment it is important to check that each surface in the
connection is bright shinny and clean in addition to tight.
Even slight surface corrosion can kill this circuit.
I'd suggest dissembling each and cleaning with a wire brush.
There are special brushes sold for cleaning the battery terminals
inside and out.

Start by disconnecting the negative battery terminal first and don't
reconnect it until you are done with all the other connections.

With a little more time and a voltmeter you could figger out which
connection is worst.. But in cars this old it's generally a good idea
to go through all the high current joints if any are bad.

Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754