Chrysler 283

To: Will Seay <wseay@ntelos.net>, CoolVT@aol.com,
Subject: Chrysler 283
From: Tony McNulty <t.mcnulty@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:34:21 -0400
I have an original-owner MkIA that I purchased in May of 1966.

My recollection at the time (of the demise) was that Chrysler couldn't
shoehorn the 283 into the Tiger and so abandoned the marque (and the dreaded
Ford name).  I don't recall the "American V8" bit.  I do know that the front
fender badges changed from "260" to "V8", at least on my car, which does
have the Chrysler "star" low down at the rear of the front fender well below
the "V8" badge, and the badge on the "boot" lid says "V8" as well -- they
definitely cleared off the Ford taint.

As far a safety and pollution standards are concerned, I think the whole
thing with Triumph, MGB -- and all of the other European autos needs to be
looked at simultaneously in that era -- a lot of the Brit cars (and the
French -- as if they count) sorta died at the same time -- pretty much from
the pollution add-on schtuff -- but who knows, I wasn't sitting in the
Boardroom at the time.....  Also note -- pretty much, there are no more Brit
cars coming into the US, unless you want to spend $80 grand for an XK Jag --
the pace car for the nexgen Lincoln.

Are there any survivors from the Chrysler acquisition of Rootes?  Can anyone
name a present-day heir?

Be interesting to see what the Germans ultimately do with the downscale
Chrysler "brand" (I refuse to use the word "marque" here).

Tony McNulty
(original owner)
B382001321

(not a MOPAR fan since my 1934 Dodge 5-window coupe back in the 50's)