More Stars/Pentastars

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: More Stars/Pentastars
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:24:05 -0700
I would like to add to Paul Breuhan's info.
For those who want to know more.
I have found Chryslers around 1963/1964 started to install the all metal
Pentastars on the right front lower fenders. I don't know when, but the
all metal version was replaced by a two piece type (the back was plastic
and the front metal) at some point. (see photo links). The all metal
"star" is gold in color, the plastic/metal "star" is a gold/bronze
color.
The early all metal type was held on with a nut and the later
plastic/metal type with the barbed pin.
Now which type did the Sunbeam come with?
I would think the early all metal type, you original owners would have
to confirm this.
When I ordered Pentastars from Rootes/Chrysler in 1988 (Part # 2239866)
I received the later plastic/metal type. This doesn't mean this is what
was original, it was probably updated by Chrysler/Rootes.
One more interesting point, the part number in the Norm's Rootes Factory
pentastar "add the star" letter states to use a nylon fixing bushes
#9132945 (Carr Fastener number 78/269). This 9132945 bushing isn't shown
in my June 1968 Rootes factory parts book.
I believe Sunbeams probably came with the early all metal type pentastar
which was installed with the Rootes nylon bushing, as the nut couldn't
be used because you can't get to the rear of the fender to attach it.

David Franchi
.
Early all metal on the left, Plastic/metal on the right in all photos.
.
Front View
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/161990305.jpg
.