RE: water pumps

To: <motoys2001@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: water pumps
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:15:10 -0400
To Henry and all

        You missed the point of my reply and that is OK because you have
added good information to the discussion.

  We were given a general statement; "My buddys car has chronic overheating
problem", no specifics, no details and he was ready to spend $200 on a new
water pump.  My reply was also general and I hoped to make them think about
the problem instead of just throwing money at the problem.

Overheating is a system problem and the whole system needs to evaluated.
The problem could have been a $5 thermostat or a $10 radiator hose.

My point is check everything first.  A stock engine will run fine with a
stock water pump; if that engine overheats, I generally look at the other
components in the system especially the thermostat.   Water pumps usually
make all kinds of noise or leak coolant when they fail.

        As for my statement; it might not be completely accurate in all
incidents but it is essentially true.
We can not change the laws of Physics or Thermodynamics.   Every coolant has
a heat absorption rate; the faster you move the coolant, the less time it
has to absorb heat and less time to release the heat.   It's one of those
trick questions that you really can't answer correctly without all the
specific information, which is not available to us here and this is not
Thermodynamics class.
        Its been 30 some years since I opened a Thermodynamics book and I
know there are many many factors involved for the Heat absorption and Heat
dissipation equations and there are even more factors to consider when your
dealing with a closed system.  Again that was not my point.

        System problems need the whole system evaluated to find the root
cause of a problem; especially the cooling system.

Ron Fraser