Holly Avenger Carb on the Tiger

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Holly Avenger Carb on the Tiger
From: "Randall Antosiak" <randya@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:34:22 -0700
For anyone who is thinking of a new carb:

I got a Holly Avenger 570 CFM for my beast.  My Tiger has a warmed up 289
and I was previously running a Holly 1820(?) rated at 465 CFM.  I was told
by a dyno guy that old Holly was a simple consumer carb and was too
difficult to adjust for a performance application.

The new Avenger carb is supposed to be ready to go "out of the box", but my
out of the box experience was not very positive: hard to start, performance
wasn't too impressive, occassional throttle binding.

I took the car to Ace Fuel in Santa Clara (CA) and let them have a go at it.
The short answer is that they made it work and now the car is fast as s***.
So this is a good carb for the car.  However, it was a bit of work to get it
sorted.

If you plan to use this carb, you will need to fabricate a new throttle
cable bracket, replace the cable itself (this can be fabricated), deal with
throttle binding against the air cleaner (they added a second air cleaner
gasket), and make sure you know what you are doing when you wire the
electric choke.

For anyone in the SF Bay area, I strongly recommend Ace Fuel.  They are very
careful and throrough.

- Randy A.