RE: Tiger fresh air vents

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tiger fresh air vents
From: "Jim Ferrara" <jim.ferrara@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:50:28 -0400
Yes, I did do that to a MK1.

Basically it's a lot of work. I did it while the car was completely
disassembled and prior to finish bodywork and paint.

Essentially you need to get all the bits off of a MK1A or Series V Alpine
including the plastic vent boxes, the metal "rain lips" off the cowl vent
where they attach to, both Vent Knobs/Rods as well as the horizontal metal
support piece that goes under the dash (which is covered in foam/vinyl) -
that's what holds the knobs in place under the dash.

The position of the vent boxes is critical or they will foul the steering
column, heater box and/or firewall bulkhead (and just about everything else
back there). Best bet is simply to cut out the vents and weld precisely in
the same place within the MK1 cowl vents, carefully double-checking that the
boxes will clear everything underneath.

For the rain drains, I used standard 90deg molded heater hose and ran the
passenger drain behind the removable false floor and the driver's side
between the accelerator and brake behind the carpet.

If your car is already assembled and painted...good luck, I'm not sure how
you can do this without messing up the body, plus you have to take just
about everything out behind the dash...including the dash!

If you want pictures, I'm sure I can snap a few for you.

Hope this helps

- Jim