Re: Windshield Washer Pump

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Washer Pump
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:07:17 -0400
The recent post from Bret prompted me to write back to him and I thought
someone else might be interested in my solution to the problem of the
windshield washer pump.  Not entirely original, but it works for me.

You can buy a replacement electric washer pump in any parts store for about
$10 - 15 and mount it anywhere under the hood.  The tubing you need to
replace the stuff that came with the car is called "Tygon" tubing and you
can get it from a store that sells medical supplies.  I don't know the size
off the top of my head but that's not critical.  Just take a sample with
you.  Connect the tubing to the sprayers in the same way as the
original.  Connect the other end to the pump.  Run another piece of tubing
to the reservoir.  Next, you have to make the electrical connections for
the pump.  What I did was to replace the original hand pump for the washer
with a push-button switch.  I found one that fit the hole perfectly, made
by Calterm, part no. 40184.  Mount the switch in the hole in the dash left
by the original pump and run some wires.  Run one wire from the fuse box to
the switch and another from the switch to the washer pump under the
hood.  Run a ground wire from the pump to the body of the car.  It would
probably be a good idea to place a fuse in the line from the fuse box to
the switch, but not absolutely necessary.  I can supply a pic of the switch
to anyone interested.

Cheers,

Tod (in Maine)
B382002384LRXFE