Re: Flywheel/Ring Gear dilemma

To: Tim Webster <crabco@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Flywheel/Ring Gear dilemma
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:06:27 -0600
Hi Tim,
You're looking for a 157 tooth flywheel, to begin with. It has to be
matched to the 28 oz-in imbalance in the crank of your  260. That means
that any "small" (157 tooth instead of 164 tooth) flywheel/ring gear
designed for the '64 to '78 manual-transmission Ford smallblock engines
should work. As a general note, lighter flywheels will give you better
acceleration performance, at the expense of idle smoothness and
launch-ability.

This part:
<http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS%2DM%2D6375%2DA302&N=700+4294862434+400070+4294840126+4294871667+115&autoview=sku>
is available from Summit Racing, it's a Ford part, and since it's made
of billet steel, it's safer than any cast iron piece you can (or can't)
buy. The weight of 25 pounds is probably midway between the 40 pounds
you mention and the mid-teens you'll see from a racing aluminum
flywheel. The absolute weight isn't really the determining factor in
it's performance - the polar moment of inertia is what counts, but
nobody specs that...

What part of Canada are you in?
Good luck,
Theo