Re: tach tech

To: Mike Michels <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: tach tech
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:32:03 -0700
Mike Michels wrote:

>Hey gang:
>
>I have an MSD distributor, but without the capacitor discharge box (I may add
>one in the future) . The tach in my tiger is reasonably accurate up to about
>2500 rpm but after that it's erratic and goes completely nuts above 3000.

Mike:
This isn't pretty, but it worked in my case when I installed a Pertonix
ignition. My tach did exactly what yours did, but over 1500 RPM.

Just wrap one or two loops of additional wire around the tach pickup on
the back (the little plastic piece that presses in). I got the tip years
ago from someone on our list here and I don't remember why it works, but
it does. The tach is steady all the way up to 6,000 (where I loose the
courage to find out if it would be accurate above that).

Caution: Be sure to use EXACTLY the same guage wire when you splice it
in, and solder the connections instead of clipping them in. If you
don't, the wire can heat up and cause resistance, lowering voltage to
the ignition, and cause all kinds of trouble and may take you a year to
figure out what's wrong. As they say, don't ask me how I know this.

Steve Sage