Re: F4B Question/more than you want to know

To: RSSmithIQ@cs.com (Randy Smith)
Subject: Re: F4B Question/more than you want to know
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:41:33 -0800
Randy, If you can provide a photo of your unmarked "F4B" I might be able
to "ID" it.
-
I have been doing research on Tiger 4 barrel intake manifolds, and there
are many variations of the Edelbrock "F4B" Ford 260/289 manifold. See
links.
-
Link #1..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/156067447.jpg... Is
from Performance Tuning Sunbeam Tiger by Gordon Chittenden page 111, he
states this is a LAT-1. (note the drilled "Tiger" vacuum boss on the
front runner). On page 112 he shows a picture where he removed the metal
between the right & left side primary and secondary passages to gain
approx. 7-15 HP at top end.
----
Link #2..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/4748999/109113532.jpg....
Manifold from eBay, note the early small Ford temp sender (smaller than
the later Ford or Tiger sender) Ford went to a larger sender in late 65
or early 66.
----
Link #3..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/134731674.jpg...
Also from eBay. Manifold has two oval intake holes, not four individual
holes
----
Link #4..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/182014443.jpg...
Also from eBay. Manifold has two oval holes and temp. sender insert.
________
In comparing these "F4B's" note the following:
The location of the undrilled "Tiger" vacuum boss, throttle brackets,
and "other" vacuum holes.

Link #1&2 (4 carb. hole variations) The vacuum boss is drilled on Link 1
(Tiger LAT) but not on Link 2, the boss is now on the rear runner. Also
note neither of these manifolds have any added throttle brackets etc.

Link 3 manifold has the vacuum boss on the front runner (not drilled),
and another on the back of the rear runner (drilled), it also has
brackets (throttle?) on the side of the left rear runner and between the
left rear runner and the carb mount. Also has a (coil bracket?) hole on
the right front by the "E" in Edelbrock.

Link #4 manifold is just like Link #3 except it only has one bracket, it
doesn't have the bracket between the left rear runner and the carb mount
or the coil bracket hole.
-------------
Link #5..
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/pictures/ps-LAT1.gif..
(The manifold shown in the LAT sales folder). It has the vacuum boss on
the rear runner (undrilled). This is an F4B not a Cobra manifold photo
re-touched. Cobra manifolds don't have the vacuum boss on top of the
runner (it is on the right rear side) why add the boss in the picture
not drilled and on the rear runner? Also as stated on your web site,
Cobra manifolds had a stiffener running between the manifold mounting
holes, the F4B doesn't. Also note the style and spacing of the Cobra
carb. mounting flange, it is shaped differently than the F4B and only
has four mounting holes, the F4B also can mount a Carter AFB carb.
---
Link #6..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/169756079.jpg...
1966 Cobra S2MS 9424A manifold, top view.
---
Link #7..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/170584835.jpg...
Cobra S2MS 9424A, bottom view
----
Link #8..
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/170618854.jpg...
Shelby "S7MS" just for comparison.
______
In doing research I found the Cobra manifolds and "Tiger lettered" high
rise manifolds were made by Offenhauser for Shelby (they are marked
OECO, for Offenhauser Equipment Company).
See "Intakes" section almost at the bottom of the page on this link.
http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/numbers.htm
-
So there are two variations of Edelbrock F4B's with four holes for the
carb. and two or three two oval hole variations. Never knew there were
so many until I compared all the photos.
-
I don't believe the "LAT F4B" folder photo on the Tiger United site was
air brushed, it is just one of the "F4B" variations.

Now I need to check out the Cobra/Tiger high rise and compare them to
each other and a 1960's Offenhauser manifold.
Also the "repro" Tiger & Cobra manifolds.

Regards, David Franchi