Re: Engine breathing

To: Stephen Jones <joness@wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine breathing
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:54:54 -0700
Definitely don't plug the engine breathers. For best performance you'd
like to run the crankcase at some amount of vacuum, to improve ring
sealing, but barring that you want to make sure that the crankcase is
adequately ventilated. You could run the right side breather into the
header collector - that would burn off any fuel and oil vapors that come
up through the breather, and the scavenging effect would ensure a
constant flow of air through the crankcase.

If you run a road-draft breather hose down the side or rear of the block
then make sure that condensation can't collect, freeze, and plug the
hose. That happened to me once and whenever the engine went under boost
(turbo Corolla) it would blow all the crankcase vapors through the
exhaust valve guides and produce a big blue-white cloud of junk out the
back. I thought I'd cracked a piston or ring... but the problem went
away as soon as the weather warmed up. I later re-routed the crankcase
vent hose and never had a recurrence.

Theo