Distributor "Plug" Question

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor "Plug" Question
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:53:32 -0700
On my relatively newly installed vacuum advance Ford distributor (which
I changed over to a Pertronix Ignition), there is a little red plastic
plug that presses into a small hole on top of the vacuum advance "pot".
Vacuum advance is new to me in the Tiger as I had a mechanical advance
distributor in before I changed it over. Unknown to me, it fell out (or
I pulled it off without knowing) sometime during my 700 mile trip to and
from Los Angeles a couple of months ago. I found the plug laying on the
engine next to one of the valve covers.

As was suggested, on the trip back to Arizona I re-routed the vacuum
hose properly and, with that little red plug out, I got the best gas
mileage I've ever had in a moderately souped up Tiger, somewhere close
to 20 mpg mostly running in 5th gear.

So, with that buildup, is that plug supposed to be in, or not in, the
advance pot, and does anyone know what it's function is?

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

Steve Sage

PS:
Thanks to everyone for the previous advice on my speedometer and the
cable length. It turns out that the speedo is again broken for sure. I
doubt it was the cable length in the speedo that did the damage since it
worked great for two or three days after I re-installed it, but then
just started sticking. Now the needle won't even budge, so it's back to
the repair shop with it again.