Traction Masters

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Traction Masters
From: GRMTim@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:15:27 EDT
I know this has been covered, but I am still agonizing over the rear leaf
springs as I assemble our Tiger project car.

I will have roughly 400 horsepower and need to control the rear end somehow.
I am using Konis, a 3.07:1 diff and limited slip. Everything is new except the
leaves themselves which have onbly 41,000 miles and appear to be perfect.

I have three sets of weld-on Traction masters. I understand that they don't
work well, make clunking noises and I don't want to weld the brackets onto the
frame anyway.

I looked at cutting an extra spring leaf I have and adding it to the front
half of the spring set. This essentially could do what the bolt on Traction
Master does, except a flexible spring leaf will not control as well as the 1"
round tube does.

I also am considering modifying one of my sets of Traction Masters to make
them into the clamp on style, or even modify them to connect to the front
spring
eye with a bracket. This has some appeal, but I am afraid the ability for
this bracket to rotate at the front spring eye will negate the benefit of the
Traction Masters. If the Traction Master bar mounts nad thus pivots at teh
front
spring eye will it negate, or just moderately effect the bar's effectiveness?
If I go the clamp-on route, do the clamp on bars work? I figured I should get
the clamp as far to the front of the spring as I can without fouling
something. I also am wondering if the clamp will move back and forward and how
noisy
this would be. One of the ideas I had was to actually mount the bracket over
one
of the bumps in the leaf spring (with a 1" hole cut out of the mounting
bracket to rest over tha bump in the spring).

I am not a suspension engineer, but I have been doing this a long time and
know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts or ideas on those who have cured
spring windup and still have a decent riding and handling Tiger?

By the way, the Sept. issue of Classic Motorsports has a cover story on
driving real Cobras through the North Carolina mountains, and the completion of
our
small black powered Ranchero project, the Nov. issue will have the Doane
Spencer cars and then the Janauary issue will start our Tiger project car
series.

Tim Suddard
Publisher; Classic Motorsports
and Grassroots Motorsports magazines
www.classicmotorsports.net
www.grassrootsmotorsports.com
Phone: (386) 673-4148 Fax: (386) 673-6040

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.