RE: Guage Problems?

To: "'R Smith'" <max348@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Guage Problems?
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:14:13 -0400
The gages may be new, but what about the senders?  You have to have the
sender that matches the gage you are using, and we know that the OEM
type Lucas/Smiths/Jaeger stuff matches little else.
I suspect you have a wiring error that is applying a fairly high voltage
directly across the gages.  I'm not sure how Autometers work, but the
original Jaegers are a series setup.  There is s single path for each
gage, going from the "10V" tap on the panel regulator, through the
gauge, through the sender to ground.  Disconnect the sender, and the
path is open, and the gage goes to zero.  The temp and fuel gages are
the same, and the original oil pressure gage is mechanical.  So you
should probably recheck your wiring.

You do have the right Autometer senders, right?

Stu