Re: Speedometer gear

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>,Tiger List
Subject: Re: Speedometer gear
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 00:29:16 -0400
At 08:29 PM 5/19/2007, Steve Laifman wrote:
 >John,
 >
 >California highways used to have marked measured miles, and fractions,
 >on open highways and freeways.  Many enthusiasts used it to calibrate
 >their speedo / odo meters.  A stop watch and a measure distance,
 >however, were all you needed for a "Contest".  A number of mutually
 >honest friends would time themselves thru these posted distances, and
 >lay claim for the speed contest of the week, without another car present
 >to warrant an obvious "speed contest".
 >
 >This was grand fun until the Highway Patrol, and the State Department of
 >Highways caught on and removed this great assets.  No more posted
 >distance signs!

Hmm.  Most Eastern States (that is, "States of
Reality") are converting to 0.1 mile markers to
aid those in accidents when calling in on cell
phones.  I suspect that you guys out there on the
Left Coast haven't yet heard of cell phones.  I
guess it's an East Coast thing.  <he grins>

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!