[Tigers] Steering heaviness

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Steering heaviness
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:27:44 EDT
For a long time my Tiger steering has felt heavy. Well, I know it's  too
heavy because after turning a corner there is no return of the wheel to self
center.
I have tried increasing the caster and that just made it harder to  turn, but
still no return after turning a corner.  I have everything  apart.  I changed
the upper and lower ball joints a few years back and the  both stub axles
turn easily and smoothly.
The u-joints are new and turn easily and smoothly.
The steering column with everything disconnected spins very easily  with no
drag whatsoever.
Now the rack....I had one of our lister experts check it out a few  years ago
and it was fine.  But, with everything installed and connected  and the car
on a lift, I can feel a little bump, bump, bump as I  turn push and pull on the
tires.
With the rack removed, I can feel the same thing.  Putting a  u-joint on the
serrated shaft and turning by hand (on the bench) I can feel the  bump, bump
bump. Is this normal?  The rack has the proper amount of  fluid.  I have no
other rack handy to compare the feeling to so I don't  know what it should feel
like.
The rack is the only thing I can find that might be contributing to  this
heavy steering.  After having the rack inspected, I don't  think there is
abnormal wear in it.  I realize there is a damper adjustment  and a pinion
endfloat
adjustment.  The question is, to get this symptom  would something be too tight
or too loose?
Thanks, Mark