[Tigers] Healy V8 location

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Healy V8 location
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:26:59 EDT
I attended a car show yesterday and there was an Austin Healy  3000 with a
Ford 289. I kept studying it trying to figure why there seemed  to be so much
more space in the engine bay when compared to the  Tiger.
First, the front wheels on the Healy appear to be set more toward  the front
of the car by a good 6" when compared to a Tiger. Secondly, there  appears to
be less needed supporting structure elements under the hood of the  car in a
Healy. It appears that the strength of the body comes from the outer  shell.
It has a very small hood opening area and the more massive body  shell around
this area appears to provide the strength.  Pulling the valve  covers on this
thing would be a breeze.
Of course, this was a conversion into a V8 and who knows how good  the body
strength and handling actually are.
On another note...I saw a few Studebaker Avantis again.  I am  still puzzled
by the series of 5 or 6 half dollar sized holes that are punched  in the metal
between the engine compartment and the wheel well.  It seems  that they must
be for cooling, but are unusual.  I wonder if there is any  Tiger application
possibilities there.
Mark L.