Re: [Tigers] Bondo removal

To: Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com, un-cole-a@juno.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Bondo removal
From: PhastPhill@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:23:28 EDT
As a retired body man I would remove all the old body filler. You don't  know
what is under there unless you remove it. Not that many years ago these  cars
were not that valuable, repairs were often done at an "ok " level, like
getting your second car painted at a Macio "special". It could be a dent  that
with some good hammer and dolly work could be worked back to needing just a
thin
skim of filler. It could be a patch riveted on, or as was common up to  the
90's brazed on over the hole. You want to do a better job if you have taken
the car this far. Proper metal repairs, done professionally are the least
amount
 of the expense of a body and paint job. Modern fillers are much better than
they  used to be, and if done properly the repairs will only need a thin skim
of  filler. Never more than 6 mil and preferably much less than that. For
metrically  challenged 6 mil is a quarter inch appox. As Tim mentioned just
warm
it, and you  don't need that much heat, and you can scrape it right off. Or
grind if you  like, be careful as you can generate enough heat with a big
grinder
and coarse  grit to warp a panel as well. Mater of fact be damn careful with
a  body  grinder anytime you use one, I have seen lots of people injured and
had a few  nicks my self. Anyway just my two cents......cheers