Re: [Tigers] Leaving Well Enough Alone: The Rise of the Unrestored

To: "Robert Bernardino" <crbernardino@mac.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Leaving Well Enough Alone: The Rise of the Unrestored
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:38:03 -0600
I think that would be good, if that were enough to keep someone from
stripping an otherwise well-preserved Tiger back to bare metal and
removing every blemish from every part regardless of whether it was
there from day one. However, I think that the concours pressure at a
typical Sunbeam event (having attended two SUNIs) is not that high and
I'd be very surprised if getting second at SUNI, or a Tigers United, was
the thing that broke the camel's back and caused a Tiger owner to tear
down their survivor and do a nut and bolt restoration.

Maybe we just need a rule that says "original trumps shiny" when it
comes to paintwork. You still want people to keep their Tigers safe if
they're going to drive the cars... Using original suspension components
and brake hardware 40 years after they were made is pretty scary.

Theo