[Tigers] Sunbeam on eBay, Im done....

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Sunbeam on eBay, Im done....
From: "Cullen McCann" <CMcCann@lwpb.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:25:30 -0500
I guess I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, so I sent him
this email. I think I got pretty close, although most of you guys know
more about it than I do.

--------------------------------------

Jesse,

I think I have some information that can help you.

By the sound of your knowledge on other cars, you may be familiar with
the Shelby Cobra and its original "donor vehicle" for lack of a better
term, the AC Bristol. Bristols were small displacement English cars that
Carroll Shelby placed American drive trains into, along with chassis and
suspension modifications. This would be like buying an AC Bristol and
putting Cobra stuff on it and calling it a Cobra.

Your car was originally a Series V Alpine with a 4 cylinder engine. It
likely had a vin with the numbers "B395..." at the start. Its a series V
Alpine due to it's square cornered doors and hood and it's unleaded body
seams. The alternative in earlier models was rounded corners in these
locations. It's not uncommon at all to see people take a Sunbeam Tiger
that has been wrecked or rusted beyond repair in order to " rebody" the
Tiger. This involves usually taking all the Tiger specific components,
such as engine, transmission, rear end and in a well executed clone, the
sheet metal differences which I had stated in a previous email as inner
fenders at the engine bay, firewall pocket, transmission tunnel, exhaust
through-frame cut outs in the x bracing below, and some bracketry in the
trunk area..... among others. These are some of the obvious differences
but there are dozens more very small ones. The vin tag from the donor
Tiger was transferred on to the cowling. its probably pop riveted on the
passenger side. There was a distinct difference in the look of English
pop rivets over American ones so that would be a dead giveaway. When
Tiger components are put on an Alpine to make it look like a Tiger, they
are generally referred to as Algers. They have some value to some
people, especially anyone who wants people to think he has a Tiger but
can afford to buy one. I do believe you could sell your car and possibly
get 3-6 thousand dollars for it, but I would be surprised if it brought
more than that. Although is obvious to me it it not your intent to scam
anyone, it is a misrepresentation of the truth in either case. The
differences between a Tiger and an Alpine are so complex and detailed,
that clones can always be spotted. It's nearly impossible to incorporate
all the differences. There is a committee for Tiger owners that was
created for the sole purpose of debunking the fakes. It's an
authenticity committee, and they know exactly what to look for. Tiger
owners usually take their cars to this committee to get them certified
for authentication.

The whole reason behind this is obviously to maintain the value of the
real car. The argument is this for example: If you have a fastback
mustang and you clone a GT350, you discredit the owners of real GT 350's
making their cars less valuable, or allowing the general perception of
the true car to be compromised of its rarity. Bottom line is that you
certainly wont sell it for what your asking. If you restart the bidding
at 2500, and call it what it is, you might get your money back. I have
attached a pdf of differences for your use.

Good luck, Hope it all works out for you.

Cullen
(Hardrockchicken on eBay)

 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif>
Response to Question about Other Makes : Sunbeam

         <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif>

 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
<http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics//icon/iconAlert_32x32.gif>  Do not
respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the
transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy,
may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs.
Learn more
<http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html> .
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
<http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>     Dear hardrockchicken,
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>     hard rock it would be
greatly apreciated if you could help us with the differences. any help
for trying to figure out what this car is would help. Their has been a
lot of people that are trying to help with this and offering advice but
as you say their are a lot of people discrediting it and flaming it
prety hard as well as us saying that we are being fradulent if we sell
the car as it was sold to us and previous owners. As stated before we
are neither at this point claming it as a tiger or dening it is a tiger.
We were trying to sell this car to the sunbeam family instead of letting
someone chop the car up and tub it for a race car. we as a family have
mustangs, novas, corvettes a lot of other cars so we are not trying to
hurt anyone. thanks jesse
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>     - dabod84
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
Respond Now
<http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?M2MContact&item=120160703048&r
equested=dabod84&qid=283332443&redirect=0&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>

 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
 <http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>