[Tigers] D. Barkers comments on TAC

To: "Tigers@Autox. Team. Net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] D. Barkers comments on TAC
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:27:54 -0500
Steve, just the battery box is a giveaway.  There is no way that you could
take out a battery box from an Alpine and weld it shut like a MkII or put
the trap door in like the others and it not be seen, even from the bottom.
It has to be welded and while hammer welding can make a piece of metal look
smooth on the top and bottom you have to have room for the hammer and dolly
and you can't do edges.  If the spot welds were removed and the whole piece
put in that would be obvious also.  There are a lot of other places that
have to be "fixed" too but the general public can look at the battery box
and easily see that it isn't right. -- Bill --

Not knowing all the TAC info myself, I'd just say if some of the Tiger
specific
stuff would be almost impossible or prohibitively expensive to fake, like
rebuilding
the frame, I'd let that info out but keep some of the little known but easy
fake details a secret. That way you have something the beginners can look
for
but still have subtle things a TAC inspector would pick up in the
inspection.
Hope that makes sense.

Steve (in Idaho)

  To conceal info or disseminate is the real dilemma. One can argue either
side
  of the question, that making the specifics of what makes a Tiger a Tiger
or
  keeping that info secret leads to fakes. I believe that full knowledge of
the
  info may be a better approach, what do others think? Since usually it is
the
  first time buyer that is most at risk why not provide the info? As
technology
  gets better and time passes better fakes will be seen what then?

  Moonstone