[Tigers] Steve Laifman

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Steve Laifman
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:33:00 -0700
Listers,

I noticed the recent absence of Steve Laifman on the Tiger List. I E-mailed
his son Jay and inquired about his health.  Jay asked me to send the following
on to the list. Tom

>From Jay:

Thanks for asking about my dad.  Three other people recently asked.  So I sent
this message to the list.  But, I keep getting a bounced message.  Please
forward it to the list for me.  Thanks.

A number of you have recently sent me e-mails asking how my dad is.  He's
doing ok, he was worse, is a little better, but he's certainly been even
better than now.  In addition to all sorts of other things, he has had very
bad arthritis in his bones, such that he has a hard time moving, including
typing on keyboards.  So, he hasn't been sending or even reading e-mails.  He
has recently started a new medicine that has improved his mobility
dramatically.  I don't know if he has started going through old e-mails yet.
He happily talks on the phone.  So, if anyone wants to call him and doesn't
have his number, send me a private e-mail.

As a good son, of course, what I really need to do is get over there and get
the Tiger's juices flowing.  :-)  Except the last time I did that, which was
supposed to be for me to do an oil change and a few miscellaneous things for 2
weeks ended up being 5 months!!!!  I love that car!!

Ok, so here is a 30 year Alpine owner's conversion to loving Tigers.  My
Alpine was my first car 30 years ago.  Over the years, I've taken all the
ribbing from folks about "should have had a V8," I've experienced being the
begrudgingly accepted participant at various Tigers United and CAT events, and
I've sat there at car shows while my 95 point Alpine barely gets a look, while
a dumpy Tiger right next to my shiny Sunbeam has guys saying to their
girlfriends "man, look at this Tiger."  I took it because I really did and do
love its high revving English charm sports car character.  About 15 years ago,
I fully restored it and hopped it up with a special high flow head, rally cam,
dual side draft Webers and lots of other stuff.  It has more hp/lb than a
stock Tiger and is now really a blast.  In fact, had Rootes done this in the
first place, I'm not so sure the Tiger would have ever been made.  I've driven
a few Tigers over the years.  I always went away feeling that I liked the
lighter, tossible, sportier feel of the Alpine.  Ok, so much for the Alpine
cheering.  Then I helped dad find his low mileage Tiger.  He then did his
magic warming up the engine a little, modifying the exhaust, and other bits.
I really hadn't spent much time driving it until the above mentioned 2 week,
then 5 month oil change.  I think because it is so original and tight, and not
overly hotrodded, I found it smooth, well balanced, nicely natured, and with
the MOST INTOXICATING exhaust grunt and torque pull that I've ever
experienced.  I can just drive all day hearing and feeling that growl.

Anyway, thanks for asking about dad.

Jay