[Tigers] Toploader vibration

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Toploader vibration
From: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:17:11 -0500
It sound like you are describing an 'audible' vibration type of noise

For what it is worth I had an audible vibration in my Tiger under hard
acceleration and intermittent highway speed. Given that I have
relatively quiet exhaust it really irritated me. The vibration
manifested itself as a buzzing in the shifter unless my hand was holding
the reverse lockout lever and held the shifter off to on side where the
sound was dampened. I will point out that this was a frequency vibration
that simply created a harmonic in the shifter assembly. It was there
with the original 260 but only slightly and I was determined to get rid
of it. When rebuilding the drive train I completely disassembled the
shifter and re cad plated all of the components and lovingly
reconstructed the shifter with new bushings and springs. I completely
rebuilt the drive train and found that under hard acceleration the
frequency vibration noise from the shifter was still there. Now I have
through bolted the motor mounts and that may be playing a roll here but
understand that the shifting mechanism was designed in the 1950's and is
not as refined as your new Audi's insulated and remote mounted sift
assembly. My Dad's '66 Pontiac with the original shifter had a similar
vibration on the M-22 4 speed. I recently decided that the stock shifter
no matter how well I rebuilt it was not going to be positive enough and
replaced it with a hurst 4 speed shifter (pain in the @$$ to install)
with solid shifter bushings and it is completely quiet and the engine
related harmonic vibration that used to resonate through the shifter has
all but disappeared.

Just thought I would share that .... Now if I could just silence the
damn MSD under the dash from buzzing. (Fuel pump problem is now quiet
and surviving after implementing the heat shield solution and the new
Holley quiet series 125 pump)

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Services Consultant