[Tigers] advice when buying gas

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] advice when buying gas
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:12:16 EST
Curious, what  are the comments on any or all of this advice?
Mark  L.

WHEN BUYING  GAS...

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline....Here in  California we
are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon.  But my  line of work is in
petroleum  for about 31 years now, so here are some  tricks to get more of
your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the  Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver
about 4  million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is
diesel the  next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
We have  34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only  buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the  ground
temperature is still cold.  Remember that all service stations  have their
storage tanks buried below ground.  The colder the ground the  more dense the
gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in  the afternoon
or in the evening. ...your gallon is not exactly a  gallon.  In the petroleum
business, the specific gravity and the  temperature of the gasoline, diesel
and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum  products
plays an important role.  A 1-degree rise in temperature is a  big deal for
this business. But the service stations do not have temperature  compensation
at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the  trigger of the nozzle to a fast
mode. If you look you will see that the  trigger has three (3) stages: low,
middle, and high. In slow mode you should  be pumping on low speed, thereby
minimizing the vapors that are created while  you are pumping.  All hoses at
the pump have a vapor return. If you are  pumping on the fast rate, some of
the liquid that goes to your tank becomes  vapor. Those vapors are being
sucked up and back into the underground storage  tank so you're getting less
worth for your money.

One of the most  important tips is t o fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL
or HALF  EMPTY.  The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank
the  less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you
can  imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This
roof  serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it
minimizes  the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every
truck that  we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact  amount.

Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the  storage
tanks when you stop to buy gas,  DO NOT fill up--most likely the  gasoline is
being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might  pick up some
of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope  this will help you get the most value for your  money.