Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:58:15 -0800
At 05:51 AM 12/20/2007, you wrote:
>After reading a recent article on a Corvette it caused me to do  some
>thinking.  How is it that a 3500lb.(approx.) Corvette with 400 HP
>can  get 32 mpg on
>the highway and a 2500 lb. Tiger with 164 HP can only manage  22mpg?
>I realize that the Vet will have a fuel management system which  should be
>much better than a carb. and the cleaner front lines of the Vet will  be much
>better for drag than a Tiger, but.......snip

My early 302 roller cam with a 5 speed and 2.88 gears routinely pulls
26+ mpg at freeway speeds.  Cruises comfortably and quietly at about
1900 RPM at 70.  The other secrets involve carb sizing and jetting
along with tuned mechanical and vacuum advance.  Power wise it's
likely a little short of 300 HP, but it's no slouch.  Most of my 5
speed customers gain at least 5mpg at cruse speeds over the top
loader with no other changes.   I'm going to work on my 5 speed,
stock 260 Tiger's tuning  to see if I can get it in to the 30mpg range.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net