Re: [Tigers] Hard Top Corner Seals

To: gharlowe@comcast.net, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hard Top Corner Seals
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:33:22 -0800
Graham,

Tiger tops varied with model. The MK II model I purchased had "[" shaped
channels riveted to the top.  There was one across the back, two angled towards
the side window, and one beneath the side window.  The Mk I hard top had three
stiff rubber pieces fitting across the back, and on each side.  As the top
flexed, ever so slightly, the rubber wears holes through the paint from
movement scrubbing.

At the time, Sunbeam Specialties had the Mk II type one piece foam cored
rubber.  Just placing the "lips" inside the channels would allow a firm fit. It
fits all the way around, and NON of the earlier design pieces of rubber should
be used. The top and foam would move, relative to the body and NOT rub the
paint, as the foam flexed. No adhesives required in the "[" channels.

For Belt and Suspenders, I used three pieces of "racing number, plastic cut to
fit the top interface.  Could be peeled off, if necessary, and replaced with
new, If wear was objectionable.  Turns a bit yellow after a few decades.

Great solution.

Steve Laifman
Editor, http://www.tigersunited.com/