[Tigers] Header Paint

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Header Paint
From: "Jim & Carolyn Burruss" <cburruss@hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:27:00 -0600
If you have everything apart, then by all means bite the bullet and get the
headers commercially coated, especially since they are difficult to get at in
the engine bay.  But I made an interesting discovery years ago regarding high
temperature paint.

When I was preparing my competition Spitfire for a car show in the late '70s,
I brushed on a coat of Rustoleum silver paint, figuring that it would not last
beyond the show.  But it did last.  Later, when I had the engine out for a
rebuild, I wirebrushed and cleaned the header thoroughly and then applied a
highly touted "stainless steel" paint.  That paint blistered within minutes of
startup.

On my rotary-powered cars, I used black stove paint in the '80s (haven't seen
a Warm Morning coal stove since the '50s), but it had to be reapplied
frequently.  On my current one, I use Rustoleum "Hard Hat Brand" silver (color
no. V2115) spray paint, and it does not burn off.  It's a dull silver coating,
and Rustoleum makes no high temperature claims for it.  At full tilt,
rotaries' exhaust temps are about 50% higher than piston engines, say 1800
degrees.  The so-called high temp paints only claim to last up to 1200
degrees.  (Oh, and don't braze any rotary exhaust components together.  You
can guess how I know.)

Jim Burruss