Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor

To: <Rollright@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:24:55 -0700
It depends on the coil you use with it.
If your coil is designed to operate at 12 volts then no ballast is
required. Otherwise you should use a ballast resistor. I'm pretty sure
that the Ignitor (the original Pertronix product) can drive 12 volt
coils, and I'm completely sure that the Ignitor II can do so.

The use of a 12 volt coil (all other things being the same) does not
automatically require the use of a large high-energy style distributor
cap, although that's good insurance against arcing in the cap. Make sure
your plug wires and plugs are in good shape and the plugs are gapped to
a reasonable value, and that the electrodes are clean and square, and
that the plug wires are routed such that the adjacent leads (in firing
order) are not adjacent in the loom. If you give your ignition system a
chance to start arcing then the resulting carbon tracks create a
self-perpetuating problem.

Theo