[Tigers] Hub Puller..

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Hub Puller..
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:43:37 -0800
I just finished looking at Dan Walter's hub puller. Many many years ago,
I made one similar but considerably fewer pieces. I used the materials I
had on hand. The major item was a 1 inch think piece of aluminum plate
about 5 inches on a side, cut square. I marked teh bolt pattern and
drilled it with the through holes. I used a lightly oversize drill bit
for these holes. Next I found a piece of 1 inch diameter round bar
stock, maybe a ft long. I cut that into 4 equal lengths. I drilled and
tapped the pieces to match the lugs threads. That was completely
threaded all the way through. I bought 4 grade 8 bolts and some G8 flat
washers. To use it, you first back off the axle nut a turn or 2 say an
1/8 inch. Keep the nut on!  Screw the bar stock pieces fully down onto
the lugs until they contact the hub flange. I think I remember I needed
to grind a wee bit of chamfer onto the bar stack pieces so they would
sit flat. Then I hold the big aluminum piece up and start the 4 G8 bolts
into the holes and then into the bar stock pieces. I put some scrap
material as shim stock under the aluminum plate and between the hub nut.
Then I just start evenly torquing the bolts down. I have never had a hub
fail to release at more that 40 ft-lbs of torque.  I'll wander up into
the shop storage area in the next few days and snap a pix. I'll send it
to anybody who migh twant it for reference. Fortunately it is not a tool
that is required very often.  Dan's puller is far more sophisticated
than the piece I built and a heck of a lot more professional, but the
job gets done nicely anyway.

mayf