Re: [Tigers] Bellhousing

To: bobdixon@frii.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Bellhousing
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:57:53 -0800 (PST)
Bob- my previous email didnt post to the list so Im
resending in case you didnt receive it as well.

There is no reason a competent welder cant tig the
crack up- unless it is in a very vital place- like
where the clutch arm is- I really can think of no
place a weld shouldnt work- should be as strong or
stronger than orginal metal if a good welder does the
work. Be sure to drill a 1/4 inch hole or so at each
end of the crack. That will stop it from cracking past
the new weld. I would almost bet the crack has been
there for a long time- maybe since you bought the car.
Make sure it is very clean and oil free and wire
brushed with a drill etc- the welder might even prefer
to grind the crack larger in order to get a better
weld. Too, it is just a Ford belhousig- everything
FORD on the Tiger is just that and nothing special-
except maybe the pulleys and Im not positive they are
Ford. If any List members disagree with my thoughts,
please speak up. By the way, just exactly where is the
crack?
regards, TonytheTiger
PS- brake kleen does and excellet job of removing oil deposits.